Saturday, April 25, 2009

Hey family and friends!

I'm writing you from an internet cafe in Nkhata Bay near the shore of beautiful Lake Malawi.

So, I'm finally a real volunteer as of last Wednesday! The swearing in ceremony was awesome. I gave a speech in Chitonga (the language spoken in my area of Malawi) and rocked the freakin house! I can't wait to upload it. It will be at least another week though.

My time here has definately had its ups and downs but overall it has been the experience of a lifetime and it's only been 3 months so far. The only thing I can say is sorta getting on my nerves is that most Malawians assume I am also Malawian. I expected as much though. Besides that most people are really friendly especially once they find out I am American. Ususally they imediately say, "Oh, Barack Obama! Your president is a Black man!" It pretty cool.

My house is coming along. I just moved in two days ago so it's pretty empty. I mostly have all of my luggage and stuff in the room which will be my guest bedroom of sorts (So next time you're in the area of Malawi...stop by ;) there'll be a mattress and mosquito net waiting...I'll even leave the light on for ya). I'm cooking on a parrifin stove which is waaaaay easier than cooking on an open fire would be.

That will have to be all for now. The cafe costs maybe the equivilent of $1 per hour, but there are a few people waiting so I should be courdeous. Oh....and my English will decline as I go along so any misspellings should be ignored.

Peace out!

5 comments:

Katherine Ausberry Lewis said...

Hi my sweetheart. Yes, I am reading your blog. Be sure to keep it updated so I will know how my cousin is doing.

Pappy

Kim Gilbert said...

Hey Girl, Congrats! on your graduation. Can't wait to hear your speech. Glad to here you are adjusting to your new community. Are you kidding? Of course I will stop by when I'm in the area. I will bring a pot of cooked chittlin's for you and your crew. Oh they will love it! I think they will like my chittlin' better than those meatless greens you know who cooks (haha). Better yet, I will just wait until I get there to purchase the food. We can go shopping at the Wal-Mart around the corner from your house in Malawi. It will be great fun! It takes a special someone to do what you're doing girl and I am soooo proud of you. Enough with my jabber, just keep blogging with updates. Hope to hear from you soon.
Love, Kim

Unknown said...

Hi Love,

Congrats on rocking the freakin' house. I always knew you had it in you. I am so proud. Like Kim, I can not wait to read your comments, I know that they were Dynamic, just as you are. As soon as I figure out how, I will post a picture of my boy. He sends his love. He says that with school and studying and all that he is to busy to write. (Believe that if you want to). He does ask how long before you come home, he thinks that he is taller than you now. Take care baby. I will try texting you over the weekend, to see if we can connect that way. Love ya!

TTT Mil said...

Hello T K, This will be my third post if I make it. Not knowing how this thing works I believe I have been posting on an older blog. If this is the right place look for future notes. And check earlier blogs and see if you can find my other notes. love you. TTT Mil

JZYLDY2 said...

NAPPY GIRL YOU ROCK BIGTIME

I WANT TO BE U WHEN I GROWUP

TIWONANANAGI

MOMMIE DEAREST